Friday, August 3, 2012

Is this week over yet??


Little Boy Blue
THE little toy dog is covered with dust,
But sturdy and staunch he stands;
The little toy soldier is red with rust,
And his musket moulds in his hands.
Time was when the little toy dog was new,        
And the soldier was passing fair;
And that was the time when our Little Boy Blue
Kissed them and put them there.
"Now don't you go till I come," he said,
"And don't you make any noise!" 
So, toddling off to his trundle bed,
He dreamt of the pretty toys;
And, as he was dreaming, an angel song
Awakened our Little Boy Blue—
Oh! the years are many, the years are long, 
But the little toy friends are true!
Ay, faithful to Little Boy Blue they stand,
Each in the same old place,
Awaiting the touch of a little hand,
The smile of a little face; 
And they wonder, as waiting the long years through
In the dust of that little chair,
What has become of our Little Boy Blue,
Since he kissed them and put them there.


My Dad used to sing this to us when we were little. I remember laying on his chest. He wore scratchy fannel/wool shirts and smelt like Old Spice.  He would pat my back to the beat of the song. His voice was deep and I could feel it rumble in his chest.

I found these bird houses behind the shed and decided to clean them up (a bit, too much would take away their character) as I was doing that, this song kept going through my mind. I thought of my Dad filling his time with projects in the yard. I burst out crying and all the kids thought I saw a spider.

My mother-in-law asked me a little while ago if I was still sad, thinking about my Dad. I told her not in a sad way,  a happy way. Today I miss him in a sad way. I wish he was here. I'm mad that he's not. I just want to talk to him. Tell him what a hard week it has been. I want to tell him I feel so busy, too busy, I feel like no matter what I do I am going to let someone down, because I can't do it all. I want to tell him what I care about and what I don't care about. I want him to play with my kids. I want to see him smile and laugh at them. Most of all I just want to be a little girl laying on my Dad's chest as he sings to me, with out a worry in the world. Is that really too much to ask???

1 comment:

  1. People ask me the same question and sometimes I feel like maybe I'm not sad enough or should I miss him more? And then those overwhelming days come and it's when you need them the most and all you want to do is HUG your Dad. I just want to hear him tell me I am doing a good job, he loves me and is proud. I just want you to know, your doing a great job as a Mom. The older I get and the older my kids get I've come to realize I don't need to be there for anyone but them. Who cares if you can't always be there for everyone else. As long as your there for them. Thats all that matters. They aren't going to remember us being there home room mom, PTA mom, dance mom and the list goes on and on... Lol But they will remember you hanging out with them, laughing with them and those special moments alone. I love you. Your a great person and friend. Sometimes it's ok to just say, you know what? No! I can't! Lol

    ReplyDelete